The fire at Ali Garments factory is now termed as the biggest industrial disaster in the history of Karachi. It left hundreds of families in despair and took away their breadwinners to their last destinations. The government and other institutions are trying their utmost best to offer as much help as possible to the families in despair.
President Asif Ali Zardari has expressed grave concern over the incident:
The President while expressing his deep grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives has condoled with the bereaved families. He has also directed the concerned authorities to ensure that best medical assistance is being provided to the affected people.
CM Sindh announces compensation:
Chief Minister Sindh, Syed Qaim Ali Shah has announced compensation for the families of the victims and those who were injured.
Rs300,000 will be given to the families of the victims while Rs50,000 has been announced for the injured.
Murder case filed against the owners of the factory:
A murder case has been filed against the owners of the factory. The factory’s allotment has also been cancelled.
The government has ordered an inquiry and a senior official revealed that the two brothers who owned the factory have been barred from leaving the country.
“We have registered a murder case against the owners of the factory and several government officials for showing utter negligence to provide adequate security to the factory workers,” said Mohammad Nawaz Gondal, the head of the local police station.
Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) will bear all the expenses of the burial of deceased who passed away in the incident of fire in a garment factory at Hub River Road.
This was announced by KMC Administrator Muhammad Hussain Syed. He said the graves were already prepared in different graveyards of city and the families of the deceased were asked to contact with the staff of Karachi Metropolitan Corporation which had been issued with the directive to provide them with all facilities without any cost.
KESC waives dues of the affected families:
The Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) has expressed its deepest sorrow over the deaths of the workers killed in the Baldia Town factory fire, and announced waiver of all existing and outstanding electricity dues in addition to the supply of free electricity to the affected families for six months.
MQM announces 3-day mourning:
The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) has announced three-days of mourning on the tragic deaths caused by the blaze in the garments factory.
Salute to these rescue workers and ambulances who have been working really hard to get the bodies out of the gutted building, Feroze Khan, a senior fire brigade official narrates “I haven’t seen anything like this in 29 years of my career. There have been devastating fires before but so many deaths just boggle the mind,” he said. “They had no chance of survival.”
Twenty-two hours after the fire broke out at the factory, smoke was still coming out of the three-storey building on Wednesday. The heat of the floor burned the feet and the water left by the night-long fire fight simmered. Every few minutes a body would come out, followed by an unconscious rescue worker.
These teams were joined by enthusiastic volunteers belonging to different political parties to get the bodies out. Camps were also set up at Civil Hospital.
Only 140 bodies have been identified yet while others have burnt beyond recognition and are sent for the DNA tests. Some families of the missing are still outside the factory with pictures of their missing members hoping for their bodies, while those in hospitals are still searching for the bodies/remains of their loved ones. May Allah grant them patience and give them the strength to cope up.